Getting Started

Opening a Canadian Western Trust investor mortgage account

Setting up the account

You will need to open one of the following accounts:

Account type Required forms Need help? Additional requirements
RRSP/RRIF CWT Self-Directed Registered Account Application
Help Guide  A locking-in agreement for all locked-in accounts
 TFSA* CWT TFSA* Application Help Guide Please enclose a legible copy of a government issued photo ID (see Part 5 of the TFSA* Application Form for more details)

Please note: The "Pre-Authorized Debit Agreement" portion of the New Account Application Form or the TFSA* Application Form has to be completed prior to submission if there is no securities dealer appointed to the account, or if non-marketable securities are the only assets being held within the plan.

Funding the account

You will need to have sufficient funds in the account to cover the purchase amount and any applicable processing fees. If funds are not available, you may do one of the following:

  • Make a new contribution into your CWT RRSP or TFSA* by sending a cheque to our office (please indicate "contribution" on the cheque)
  • Transfer funds from an existing registered account or TFSA* at another institution to the CWT account

More information:

Setting up the mortgage

Please select the mortgage package for your account:

Please note, CWT will accept the appraisal conducted by an appraiser with either the AACI (Accredited Appraiser Canadian Institute) or the CRA (Canadian Residential Appraiser) designation.

You need Adobe Reader to read and complete these forms online. To get a free copy of Adobe Reader, visit the Adobe website at Original forms are no longer required to process new account applications or transactions; we accept completed scanned or faxed copies of any form.

*Deposits in Canadian Currency with a term of 5 years or less, and payable in Canada, are eligible to be insured under the CDIC Act.